Building a new power system and promoting green and low-carbon transformation of energy. It is an important support for achieving carbon peaking and carbon neutrality goals. For the high-quality and large-scale development of energy storage, the National Development and Reform Commission and the National Energy Administration recently jointly issued the ” 14th Five-Year Plan ” New Energy Storage Development Implementation Plan (hereinafter referred to as the “Implementation Plan”).
I. Background of the “Implementation Plan”
(1) Since the ” 13th Five-Year Plan “, China’s new energy storage has realized the transition from R&D demonstration to the initial stage of commercialization, and has achieved substantial progress. Technological innovations such as electrochemical energy storage and compressed air energy storage have made great progress. By the end of 2021, the cumulative installed capacity of new energy storage will exceed 4 million kilowatts. Application scenarios such as “new energy + energy storage”, conventional thermal power storage, and smart microgrids continue to emerge. , the business model has been gradually expanded, the policy mechanism at the national and local levels has been continuously improved, and the supporting role for the energy transformation has initially appeared.
(2) The “ 14th Five-Year Plan ” period is a critical period and a window period for China to achieve the carbon peaking goal, and it is also an important strategic opportunity period for the development of new energy storage. With the increasing demand for adjustment capacity in the power system and the continuous increase in the scale of new energy development and consumption, especially in the context of the centralized construction of large-scale wind power photovoltaic base projects in the desert and Gobi desert, the construction period of new energy storage is short, the site selection is simple and flexible, and the adjustment ability It has a better match with the development and consumption of new energy, and its advantages are gradually highlighted. It is imperative to accelerate the large-scale application of advanced energy storage technology. my country has reached the world’s leading level in technologies such as lithium-ion batteries and compressed air energy storage, facing the world’s energy technology competition, supporting green and low-carbon technology innovation, and accelerating the construction of new energy storage technology innovation systems. New energy storage is one of the breakthroughs for generating new business forms of the energy industry and creating a new economic engine. Under the background of building a new development pattern of domestic and international dual-cycle mutual promotion, there is a great opportunity to accelerate the layout of the new energy storage industry.
(3) The “Implementation Plan” is the overall deployment to promote the large-scale, industrialized and market-oriented development of new energy storage in the ” 14th Five-Year Plan “. In 2021, the National Development and Reform Commission and the National Energy Administration jointly issued the “Guiding Opinions on Accelerating the Development of New Energy Storage” (hereinafter referred to as the “Guiding Opinions”), which outlines the development direction of new energy storage and requires strengthening the leading role of planning. Accelerate the improvement of the policy system, accelerate technological innovation, and promote the high-quality development of new energy storage. On the basis of the “Guiding Opinions” this time, the “Implementation Plan” further clarifies development goals and refines key tasks to improve the operability of the implementation of the plan, aiming to grasp the development of new energy storage in the ” 14th Five-Year Plan “. During the strategic window period, accelerate the scale, industrialization and market-oriented development of new energy storage to ensure the smooth start of carbon peaking and carbon neutrality.
2. Main contents and policy highlights of the “Implementation Plan”
The “Implementation Plan” is divided into eight parts, including general requirements, six key tasks and safeguard measures. Among them, six key tasks are to deploy the key tasks of the ” 14th Five-Year Plan ” new energy storage development from key areas such as technological innovation, pilot demonstration, scale development, institutional mechanisms, policy guarantees, and international cooperation .
(1) General requirements. First , the guiding ideology clearly adheres to the general idea of taking technological innovation as the endogenous driving force, taking the market mechanism as the fundamental support, and taking the policy environment as a strong guarantee, and making progress while maintaining stability to promote the high-quality and large-scale development of new energy storage. Second, the basic principles fully embody the development ideas of planning-led, innovation-driven, market-led, mechanism-guaranteed, and safety-based bottom line, clear overall planning, adapting measures to local conditions, innovation-led, demonstration-led, and market-led , orderly development, based on the four development principles of safety and standardized management. Third, in the development goals, more emphasis should be placed on supporting technology and business model innovation, improving standard systems, improving policy mechanisms and other measures to fully stimulate market vitality, and promote the construction of demand-oriented high-tech energy storage with the goal of giving full play to the value of new energy storage. Quality and large-scale development pattern.
(2) Main tasks. The “Implementation Plan” focuses on six major directions and clarifies the key tasks during the ” 14th Five-Year Plan ” period.
The first is to focus on systematic planning of energy storage technology innovation. The “Implementation Plan” strengthens the strategic layout and systematic planning for the innovation of new energy storage technology, deploys the key directions of concentrated technical research from three levels of promoting diversified technology development, breaking through the whole process safety technology, and innovating intelligent control technology, and proposes R&D reserves. In the technical direction, encourage different technical routes to “bloom in full bloom”, while taking into account the optimal allocation of innovative resources; emphasize the integration of production, education and research, promote the construction of innovative platforms by “revealing the list” and other methods, and deepen the construction of new energy storage disciplines and compound talent training ; Establish and improve a green energy storage technology innovation system with enterprises as the main body, market-oriented, and the combination of production, education, and research, fully release the innovation vitality of platforms, talents, and capital, and increase the endogenous power of technological innovation.
The second is to strengthen demonstration and lead to drive industrial development. The “Implementation Plan” focuses on new energy storage diversified technical routes, different time scale technologies and various application scenarios, promotes the pilot demonstration of advanced energy storage technology in the principle of steady progress and batch implementation, and accelerates the first (set) of major technical equipment, etc. Innovative demonstration of key technologies, accelerating technology iteration and updating with engineering practice, and promoting cost reduction; promoting the construction of regional energy storage demonstration zones in key areas, and actively promoting the formulation of differentiated policies in combination with application scenarios . The regions that are leading the way in reform achieve key breakthroughs. Considering the fact that new energy storage is in the early stage of commercialization, the “Implementation Plan” encourages all localities to adhere to the principle of “exemplification first” in the development of new energy storage, avoid “one size fits all” scale, actively carry out technological innovation, and improve market systems and policy mechanisms pilot demonstrations. Drive technological progress and industrial upgrading through demonstration applications, promote the improvement of the upstream and downstream industrial chains of energy storage, and support the construction of high-tech industrial bases for energy storage.
The third is to support the construction of new power systems through large-scale development. The “Implementation Plan” insists on optimizing the construction layout of new energy storage, and promotes the integrated development of new energy storage and all aspects of the power system. On the power supply side, accelerate the construction of system-friendly new energy power stations, support the delivery of high-proportion renewable energy bases with new energy storage, and promote the development and consumption of large-scale wind power photovoltaic bases and large-scale offshore wind power in the desert and Gobi desert. Improve the regulation capacity of conventional power sources such as coal power. On the grid side, develop new types of energy storage according to local conditions, deploy energy storage at key nodes to improve the safe and stable operation of large power grids, delay and replace investment in power transmission and transformation facilities in areas where resources are limited in site corridors and other areas, and enhance power supply guarantee capabilities in areas with weak power grids. Improve the emergency support capability of the system around important power users. On the user side, flexible and diverse configuration of new energy storage supports the construction of distributed energy supply systems, provides users with customized energy consumption services, and enhances users’ flexible adjustment capabilities. At the same time, promote the diversified and innovative application of energy storage, promote the integration of source, network, load and storage, and cross-domain integration and development, and expand the application of various energy storage forms.
The fourth is to emphasize the use of institutional mechanisms to promote market-oriented development. The “Implementation Plan” proposes to clarify the independent market main body of new energy storage, promote the participation of new energy storage in various power markets, improve the power market mechanism compatible with new energy storage, and remove institutional obstacles for the gradual market-oriented development. Facing the development needs of new energy storage and the status quo of power market construction, classified policies and steady progress will be made to promote reasonable cost reduction of new energy storage. Research and explore new types of energy storage that play a role in system peak regulation, refer to pumped storage management and enjoy the same price policy. Efforts will be made to expand new energy storage revenue channels to facilitate large-scale development. Expand new energy storage business models, explore the application of business models such as shared energy storage, cloud energy storage, and energy storage aggregation, focus on system value, tap commercial value, innovate investment and operation models, and guide social capital to actively invest in new energy storage projects.
The fifth is to focus on improving the new energy storage management system. The “Implementation Plan” strengthens the standardization and safety guarantee role of standards, improves the standard system of the new energy storage industry chain, accelerates the formulation of safety-related standards, and carries out the formulation and revision of diversified application technical standards. It is required to speed up the establishment of a new energy storage project management mechanism, standardize industry management, and strengthen safety risk prevention. Encourage localities to increase support for new energy storage technology innovation and project construction, and improve relevant support policies. Accelerate the establishment of a new energy storage project management mechanism, strengthen security risk prevention, and standardize project construction and operation management.
Sixth, promote international cooperation to enhance competitive advantage. The “Implementation Plan” proposes to improve the international energy cooperation mechanism in the field of new energy storage, build a cooperation platform, and expand the field of cooperation; promote international cooperation in new energy storage technologies and industries, and achieve high-quality introduction and high-level development of new energy storage technologies and industries. go out.
(3) Safeguarding measures. In order to ensure the effective implementation of the “Implementation Plan”, a series of specific safeguard measures have been proposed. In terms of coordination and guarantee, it is proposed to establish a multi-departmental coordination mechanism including the National Development and Reform Commission, the National Energy Administration and relevant departments, and to do a good job in coordinating and connecting with various scales; in terms of industry management, it is proposed to build a national-level new energy storage big data platform. Carry out monitoring of key tasks of the implementation plan to improve the level of industry management informatization; in terms of responsibility implementation, all provincial energy authorities are required to formulate new energy storage development plans, and to clarify the progress of each task and assessment mechanism. At the same time, the National Energy Administration will optimize and adjust the implementation plan in a timely manner according to the monitoring and evaluation situation.
The above is excerpted from the National Energy Administration.